06 May 2009

My detective hat is on!

For those who like to follow celebrities on Twitter, the validity of that celebrity's identity is crucial: if it's an imposter, you're just one of the gullible masses, but if it's genuine, you feel like you're getting a secret, inside glimpse of their glamorous life.  Anytime a celebrity appears on Twitter, it quickly becomes a race to find out if they're authentic.  Recently, Ben Jones (@benjonesdj) was interviewing Hugh Jackman (who confirmed he's the genuine twitter article: @realhughjackman).  Ben told Hugh that he was following someone called @Seth_Rogen who was pimping out Seth's latest movie Observe and Report, but Seth Rogen revealed in an interview (listen here) that he isn't using the service.  The celebrity validation game is big enough that websites have popped up to help reassure people that they're not gullible losers.  The most reputable is Valebrity. Their website is http://valebrity.com. They also have a Twitter profile, naturally: @valebrity.
Anyway, enough "hard journalism": during the past 24-48 hours, Kirstie Alley and Melissa Gilbert (currently listed as @KirstieAlley and @MelissaEGilbert) have been Tweeting back and forth incessantly about everything!  Yesterday started with the alleged Kirstie Alley lambasting Harvey Levin (@HarveyLevinTMZ) and TMZ (@TMZ), and asking for help from her Tweeps finishing a colorful idiom: "YOU ARE NOT A LAWYER, YOU ARE A ____".  The alleged Melissa chimed in with "liar" (who knows if she meant this as a reference to the similar line from the Jim Carrey movie Liar, Liar, or not).  The winning entry was someone offering the "C" word.  Yes, that "C" word.
Later the Alleged Miss K tweeted responses that she was genuine.  She even promised updated pictures that would show her to be authentic.  However, rather than posting "twitpics", she seemed to just be updating her profile pic. The current pic (you'll see it when you click on her profile link) is an obvious fake.  The poor lighting and bad resolution made it obvious enough, imo, but the supposed writing on the note, when viewed larger, is clearly digital pen work in some kind of editing program like MS Paint, or Adobe PhotoShop.
Now, finally, to the reason I'm writing this: A genuine celebrity Emma Kennedy (she's a British author, but she's real, and really her: @EmmaK67) has been on top of the mad Tweeting between these two Surreal Life "Wish List" candidates.  She has been urging the Alleged Miss K to validate herself with Valebrity, to no avail, so far (which I take as further evidence of her fraudulent status).  She also declared that she needed a Huggy Bear to do some snooping.  This is where I come in!  I volunteered, and due to my geographically advantageous position (ie, I live in California, and she lives in England), she recruited me.
Let it be known, far and wide, that I am on the case! During my non-working hours, I will be doing my best to solve this case.  Right now, my efforts are focused on Miss K.  She seems the most likely candidate to be fake, and the easiest to confirm.
I have placed a call to her agent, Scott Henderson at William Morris.  I am waiting for a return call. I am hopeful, but I'm also an incurable optimist, so we'll see.  I have also placed a call to Miss M's agent, Erwin Moore (also with William Morris).  OK, this was done live, and it turns out that Melissa is no longer represented by Mr. Moore. I am now calling Scott Henderson's office back.
It's ringing. Voicemail!  Curses...well, now it's a waiting game. I have to get ready to go to work.

No comments: