23 April 2014

100-Word Story - Geek-Child vs. Homophones (Repost from Facebook, 6 March 2010)

Every spring, I relive my greatest shame. When I was 9, I heard there would be try-outs at Yankee Stadium for “Batboys”. I couldn’t believe it: my lifelong dream of the past 6 years had come true. Amidst daydreams of patrolling our fair city by moonlight alongside our own caped-crusader (one I didn’t even know we had), I prepared my home-made costume for the auditions. It had to be perfect, naturally. I was so excited I could barely eat. I arrived an hour early; upon seeing the other kids, I refused to get out of the car. I hate baseball.

This was in response to the prompt of "Bats" from the 100 Word Stories Podcast Weekly Challenge #202 (Week of 3/07/2010).
I was really torn for most of the week about all the different ways you could interpret the word 'bats'. I considered the nouns: the club used to strike balls, the flying mammal; the verbs: what a baseball player does with the aforementioned club, what a cat does with objects it toys with, what a girl does with her eyelashes. I finally came up with a story the uses that confusion as the basis for the story.

No comments: